A River Called the Arms of God

In her book - Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far - Amy Grant tells the story of being baptized in a river in Texas called "Rio de los Brazos de Dios" - The River of the Arms of God.

As I sat briefly in the cold wind by the banks of the Potomac River this morning - I thought of this river as being symbolic of the arms of God for me - for it too sustains and envelops me in the very same way.

Water is symbolic in all the major religious traditions. In the Christian tradition, water is used in baptism as it washes the soul of the penitent clean.

Amy speaks of the healing she experienced in this river that embraced her as she felt all the weight of grief and pain in her life released and washed downstream.

In an earlier portion of the book she speaks of the ocean and how it is "constant and powerful, and like the love of God, whether we're immersed in it, standing on the shore, or a thousand miles away, it remains."

The stories in this book are breathtakingly beautiful, healing, and inspirational. I know I will go back to them again and again. Yes - they speak of pain and loss - but also of great faith and redemption - and magnificent love.

Towards the end of the book, I found the lyrics for this song titled - What the Angels See:

If I could see what the angels see
Behind the walls, beneath the sea
Under the avalanche, through the trees
Gone would be the mystery
If I could see what the angels see

If I could hear what the angels hear
The thunderous crash of a falling tear
Holy, holy in my ear
I'd never doubt that God is near
If I could hear what the angels hear

If I could know what the angels know
That death is just a swinging door
And spirits go where spirits go
I feel them but they never show
If I could know what the angels know

If I could stand where the angels stand
And watch the world while God commands
And see how love designed this plan
Reminders on his feet and hands
If I could stand where the angels stand

If I could see what the angels see
Behind the walls to you and me
And let the truth set me free
I would live life differently
If I could see what the angels see

And I closed my eyes and gave thanks to the river for reflecting the very Image and Love of God - and to all my angels and guides - who have been with me - making their presence known throughout these many months. Both the river and angels - have finally seen me safely to the other side...Blessings without end abound...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"