The River in Silent Summer Stillness

It was as quiet and still down by the river as I had seen it in a long time. It felt truly delicious and was exactly what I needed this morning.

The clouds and the trees on the banks of the far side of the river were vividly reflected in the water. The inlets and coves on that side seemed less distant - and yielded richer details. I could see all the way down to the riverbed. Everything was crystal clear - like the goal in meditation. If only my mind and heart were so still. It was silent except for the joyous chirping of birds. I enjoyed this silence and let it envelop me and my thoughts.

Silence is such an important part of the spiritual journey. Interior growth often takes place in the heart of silence. I find myself called to increasingly greater silence in my life.

Here are some quotes on silence:

"Growth takes place in a person by working at a deep inner level in a sustained atmosphere of silence."
- Dr. Ira Progoff

"Only when one is connected to one's own core is one connected to others... And, for me, the core, the inner spring, can best be refound through solitude."
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

"In the sweet territory of silence we touch the mystery. It's the place of reflection and contemplation, and it's the place where we can connect with the deep knowing, to the deep wisdom way."
- Angeles Arrien

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"