Mist and Fog

I watch the remnants of the early morning fog - a fine mist skipping and dancing on the surface of the water, burn off - slowly and delicately. I come here, to the river, unexpectedly, after a cancellation in my morning schedule...

It is chilly, but comforting, and I am glad to be here. I have missed coming here on almost a daily basis. I watch one lone paddler take off downstream - a place I have yet to explore...

I think of how I was first brought to this river - and by whom - and how it brings such solace in my life. It has been a great gift in the midst of so many transitions...I'm sure, that on some level, it was foreseen...

I reflect on how everyone carries some pain in their life - physical or otherwise - how sometimes it is obvious, but how many times it is far from evident...

I think of a beloved former student and medical doctor, in the prime of her youth - committing to marriage this week, despite the cancer ravaging her body - daring to live in hope despite the uncertainty she faces...

I think of a family member deeply grieving in the midst of losing those closest to her - all of a sudden stripped of her support system...

I think of a friend facing yet another round of medical exams which may result in a very bleak outcome...

And I think of another life-long friend, living with HIV, and subject to all that that entails...

Then I think of myself and all that my heart silently ponders and deeply grieves for, and wonder - what is all that in the light of all the rest?

I watch the remnants of the fog burn off, and am reminded that this life, and all of its events and issues are also fleeting. They too, will someday lift away, like the very mist on this river...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"