Gratitude for What Is - and What is Not

This morning I posted on my Facebook status - that I am grateful for what is - and what is not...

Last night, my teacher used the theme of gratitude in class, punctuated with some beautiful examples from her life as she shared some poignant stories about her mother, who could find beauty, goodness, and abundance, even in times that were lean...

One particular story struck me. Once, when it was difficult on my teacher's family financially, her mother took her children to the window and asked them to contemplate the beauty of nature and its magnificent abundance...

There is always something to be grateful for. As I shared with my own students this week, every experience of adversity, opens the door to opportunity...

Here are some wonderful reflections on Gratitude from Paramahansa Yogananda's writings:

"In one of His aspects, a very touching aspect, the Lord may be said to be a beggar. He yearns for our attention. The Master of the Universe, at whose glance all stars, suns, moons, and planets quiver, is running after man and saying: 'Won't you give Me your affection? Don't you love Me, the giver, more than the things I have made for you? Won't you seek Me?'

But man says: 'I am too busy now; I have work to do. I can't take time to look for You.' And the Lord says: 'I will wait.'"

"We put forth our hands to receive God's gifts of life and sun and food and all the other things He bestows on us; but even as we receive them, we are unmindful of the Giver. If you have lovingly given presents to someone and then find out that he never thinks of you, how hurt you would feel! God feels that way, too."

Comments

Rachel said…
I have been following your blog for a while now, and really draw strength and inspiration from it. I don't know how I came across it, but am very grateful I did. Many Blessings :)

Rachel
Olga Rasmussen said…
Thank you Rachel, you warmed my heart! Thanksgiving blessings to you! Olga

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"