Blessed is She Who Believed

I have been listening a lot to the Birth of Christ - the Cantata I have referred to a few times in previous posts. One of the most beautiful pieces is entitled "The Visitation," where Mary visits her cousin Elizabeth, herself with child at an advanced age.

Luke 1:39 - 48 tells this story of the Visitation, and it is followed by the Magnificat - and both of these passages have figured prominently in my heart and soul of late.

Both the song, and the passage from scripture that this piece is based on, narrate Mary's visit, and how the child in Elizabeth's womb leaped for joy upon hearing Mary's greeting. Elizabeth in turn responds by exclaiming:

"Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
And why has this happened to me,
that the mother of my Lord comes to me?
For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting,
the child in my womb leaped for joy.
And blessed is she who believed
that there would be a fulfillment
of what was spoken by the Lord..."

I have been haunted by these words:

"Blessed is she who believed..."

Truly, blessed in the one who believes in God's wisdom, mercy, and foresight, even when she or he cannot see the way to the other side of things - and while experiencing overwhelming sadness, loss, tragedy, and pain...

Blessed is she - or he - who believes and trusts in God in spite of everything...

Blessed is the one whose heart believes and knows, that everything happens according to a Divine order and that all shall be well...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"