Let Nothing Disturb You

After yesterday's posting, I decided to look up some of the prayers and sayings of St. Teresa of Avila, a prolific writer, and the only woman accorded the recognition of being a Doctor of the Church. She is also sometimes referred to as the Doctor of Prayer, since she wrote so much on the subject.

Teresa is a complex figure, who lived in the 16th century in Spain, and her writings are not always accessible. She is perhaps best known for her work, the Interior Castle, in which she describes the various stages of the spiritual life by comparing them to various rooms in a manor one must go through in other to enter the most interior realm...

"Let nothing disturb you,
let nothing frighten you,
all things pass away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who has God
finds he lacks nothing;
God alone suffices."

"Christ has no body now but yours
No hands, no feet on earth but yours
Yours are the eyes through which he looks
with compassion on this world
Christ has no body on earth now but yours."

"Lord, grant that I may always allow myself
to follow your plans,
and perfectly accomplish your will.

Grant that in all things,
great and small,
today and all the days of my life
I may do whatever you require of me.
Help me respond to the slightest prompting
of Your Grace, so that I may be
Your Trustworthy instrument for Your honor.

May Your Will be done
in time and eternity -
by me, in me, and through me..."

"May today there be peace within.
May you trust God and know
that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities
that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received
and pass on the love that has been given to you...
May you be content knowing
you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into your bones,
and allow your soul the freedom
to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us."

May these prayers bring the comfort to your heart that they have brought to mine. I have received the most adequate message for this day...

Comments

Unknown said…
I attended one of your community classes at Takoma Park and work with Elizabeth Dallam whom you may know. I happened upon your blog and really appreciated this post. It spoke to me today. Thank You

Laurelyn
Olga Rasmussen said…
Thank you Laurelyn! And I sure know Elizabeth - she is wonderful!

Enjoy!
With Love and Grace,
Olga

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"