Easter Blessings

The Easter Vigil clocks in at three hours, and is absolutely beautiful. I enjoy all nine readings - closing my eyes - reciting them in my head - anticipating every line - beginning with the story of Creation. I enjoy the lighting of the fire and the candles, the incense, the organ, the trumpets - all of it, even though my guys squirm and are not truly happy campers! It is nothing less that an experience that is both spiritual and sensual at the same time - encompassing and satisfying all of my senses.

I enter deeply into the liturgy, and in my heart, I chant along with the cantor - the parts of the Exultet - The Easter Proclamation - that I can remember - a very beautiful and ancient chant:

"Rejoice heavenly powers! Sing choirs of angels!
Exult, all creation around God's throne!
Jesus Christ, our King is risen!
Sound the trumpet of salvation!

Rejoice, O earth, in shining splendor,
radiant in the brightness of your King!
Christ has conquered! Glory fills you!
Darkness vanishes forever!

It is truly right that will full hearts and minds and voices
we should praise the unseen God...

This is our Passover feast...

This is the night when the pillar of fire
destroyed the darkness of sin!

The power of this holy night
dispels all evil, washes guilt away,
restores lost innocence, brings mourners joy;
it casts out hatred, brings us peace,
and humbles earthly pride.

Night truly blessed
when heaven is wedded to earth
and man is reconciled with God!

May the morning Star which never sets
find this flame still burning:
Christ, that Morning Star,
who came back from the dead,
and shed his peaceful light on all mankind,
your Son who lives and reigns,
forever and ever, Amen.

I come home after midnight, and fall sleep almost immediately, only to rise later than usual, and meditate blissfully in the quiet and cool, but sunny morning - followed by a leisurely reading of the newspaper at Starbucks. We then go for a spontaneous drive in the country for a couple of hours, taking in and enjoying the glory of quaint Viriginia towns in horse country.

Back home, later in the afternoon, I finally spread the mulch that has been sitting on my driveway for several weeks!

Since my son had to work at the last minute - experiencing his first busy season as a tax accountant, we change our brunch reservations to dinner, and enjoy the evening, returning home at around 7:30 PM, while it is still light outside...

The day yields into the evening, of another day well spent! A night truly blessed gives birth to glorious day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"