Thanksgiving Day Blessings on Land and Water

Blessings come in so many ways. In ways that are expected - and in ways that are not...

I arise on this, Thanksgiving Day - and it is blanketed in fog. I go down to the river - there is a yearning inside of me to see it - to connect with this river that has played such a pivotal role in my life. It has been raining for days and I can't remember when I last brought Grace, my kayak, down to these riverbanks, to commune with these healing waters...

The river is breathtakingly beautiful. The skies are totally gray - as is the river itself. The sky and the waters merge - in their oneness - they are only separated by a haze of bare trees - acting as an ethereal silhouette, softly etched in the fog. I think of the description of creation from the Book of Genesis - and it seems that now, for the first time, I am seeing the dome in the sky separated from the waters below. The scene before me is so haunting, I lose myself in it. The waters are totally still - as still as my soul...

I give thanks on the riverbanks - for all that is - and for all that is not. I give thanks for the opportunities, the blessings, the sorrow - for all that has made me - without any indication of what the day might hold for me...

As always, my Twitter and Facebook family, and friends, do not disappoint - so many beautiful postings touch my heart...

"God has two dwellings:
one in heaven, and the other
in a meek and thankful heart."
~ Isaak Walton

"Oh Lord who lends me life,
lend me a heart replete with thankfulness."
~ Shakespeare

"Wear gratitude like a cloak
and it will feed every corner
of your life."
~ Rumi

"Gratitude makes sense of our past,
brings peace for today,
and creates a vision for tomorrow."
~ Melody Beattie

"The depth and willingness
with which we serve
is a direct reflection of our gratitude."
~ Gordon T. Watts

"Saying 'thank you' creates love."
~ Daphne Rose Kingma

"I awoke this morning
with devout thanksgiving for my friends,
the old and the new."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"No duty is more urgent
than that of returning thanks."
~ St. Ambrose

I am grateful for what is - and what is not. I am grateful for what brings me joy - and what brings me sorrow - for this too - has made me the embodied soul that I am - and it brings me even closer to God's Heart.

I end, with wise words from Paramahansa Yogananda for today:

"We put forth our hands to receive God's gifts of life and sun and food and all the other things He bestows on us; but even as we receive them, we are unmindful of the Giver. If you have lovingly given presents to someone and then find out that he never thinks of you, how hurt would you feel! God feels that way too."

Thanksgiving blessings to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"