Reiki Dance

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to do an advanced intensive on Japanese spiritual practices of Reiki with my teacher, Frans Stiene, who with his wife, Bronwen Stiene, co-founded The International House of Reiki. They are also the co-authors of The Reiki Sourcebook, the definitive text on this subject.

Frans and Bronwen have extensively researched the origins and practices of Reiki. I resonated with its spiritual origins which are grounded in Buddhist meditation practices, very much like I felt drawn to Anusara Yoga because it too, is a spiritual practice, first and foremost. This is my third year studying with Frans, and when I first picked up his book in a bookstore almost a decade ago, I could not have anticipated I would be given the gift of studying with him.

Frans led us through a number of exercises and practices that in essence, showed us how to embody the Reiki energy, and move and respond to it - both in treating others and ourselves. At first, I was not sure I would be able to do this, but once I let go - and stepped into the currents of the Reiki energy, I began to dance with it. The Reiki led - and I followed...

When I tried to resist it - it would not flow - but when I surrendered and followed - it took me places in movement I had not quite explored. It reminded me of the spontaneous movements that have arisen in my meditation in the past. When I was completely aligned with the energy - it became a sacred dance - very fluid - and I somehow sensed what direction it would take - though at times I was surprised at the paths it followed - and on occasion it would hold me somewhere in an infinite pause - a Reiki kumbhaka of sorts.

I realized Frans was urging us to work more intuitively. When Reiki is first taught, one learns certain protocols and hand positions to guide one's practice - but now we were shown that to go even deeper, and grow - we had to leave the safety of the riverbanks and step into the surging currents of the river.

The time flew for me, and I realized, I could never practice again in the same way. I fell in love with this discipline once again - and felt that my soul had been released and set free!

"The bird of paradise alights
only on the hand that does not grasp."
~ John Berry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"