Shower the People You Love

Last night, was one of those magical nights and moments that arises like a phoenix out of the ashes of grief and sadness...

I had the opportunity to hear my two life-long favorite songwriters - Carole King and James Taylor together in concert - only because a friend suffered a tragic loss. So, out of one person's sadness - two others received great joy - not unlike a common theme found in many of the songs written and sung by these two giants.

I heard Carole King five years ago, in the company of a dear soul, on a night that was perhaps, one of the most magical of my life and it is forever etched in my heart as a true communion of souls and merging of stories and spirits. And I last heard James Taylor in graduate school, when he was married to Carly Simon, the late 70's...

I invited a friend to attend with me, who has been a steadfast soul companion and is undergoing her own challenges - which she always manages to handle with such grace and refinement - that it is an inspiration to me. Together, we were able to leave behind all of our troubles, worries and concerns, step through the door into another time and place, and enjoy the evening with great abandon!

I drove over with another friend, and enjoyed her company as well - leading up to the performance, and trading notes afterwards...

The evening was such a kaleidoscope of memories - and a confluence of feelings merging from different epochs of my life - each like a finely textured work of art. It was also a reminder of what is ultimately important in life, as it was so beautifully articulated in so many of the songs that were sung:

"Shower the people you love with love.
Show them the way that you feel...

Winter, spring, summer or fall -
All you have to do is call -
you've got a friend!

Blossom, smile some sunshine down my way...
Melt my cares away...

I'd like to know if your love
Is a love I can be sure of
So tell me now, and I won't ask again--
Will you still love me tomorrow?"

And I end with these:

"It won't be long before another day,
We're gonna have a good time.
No one's gonna to take that time away,
You can stay as long as you like..."

Yes - you can stay as long as you like in my heart...

(This is for you - Goddess D! And eternal thanks to Trish!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"