For Blessings Received, Make Us Truly Grateful

I arrive home safe and sound from a perfect and magical trip to London, the city of my birth, which I enjoy, 55 years later - in the company of my son, who is nearly half of my age - and who is visiting for the very first time...

Everything not only goes right on this trip - but turns out even better than I could have imagined. I recall the many beautiful encounters I had everywhere and the incredible connections made with perfect strangers - souls intersecting in ways that defy any kind of separation and I truly realize, that at our essence, we are all One!

Every meal had, was simply delicious and fully enjoyed. Revisiting every site - brought back memories, even as the seeds were being sown for richer ones to come...

I visit the street my parents lived in - and find the church I was baptized in, and where in many ways, my own spiritual journey began. It was moving to sit inside, as the day waned, turning into dusk and merging with the coming nightfall, while I was lost in the recitation of prayers for many loved ones...

I have so much to grateful for, and I think this trip reminded me of so many of those very small experiences and things that are sometimes overlooked. Because I chose to remain unplugged from all technology during those days, I was fully present to every moment and the hidden gifts disclosed - each one a rare treasure that I delicately unwrapped...

I return home, where the heart is - and despite news around the world that could be defined as grim, my heart is touched by the warmth in souls everywhere - my belief in the goodness of the humanity is once more renewed, and I find a poem in the early evening, that ends with these words, that speak to my heart and capture the essence of what I feel:

"Transcribed onto my human tongue
I believe it might sound like a lullaby,
or the simplest grace at table,
Across the gathering stillness
simply this: 'For all that we have received
dear God, make us truly grateful."
~ Lynn Ungar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"