All You Need is Love

I awaken before dawn, before going off to teach, and take a moment to check in at my computer to read the daily blog posting, so beautifully and eloquently describing a friend's gradual transition from this life. Her husband lovingly documents this incredible journey, which has inspired and touched souls all over the world...

I am moved to read, that despite having a day where my friend was largely unconscious, she rouses herself long enough, to sing the Beatles's song, "All You Need is Love," to the roomful of friends that have gathered there, to enfold her in their loving presence...

I feel my heart swell, and almost break, for indeed, this simple song tells the greatest truth, and once again I realize, my friend is teaching me how to live, with passion and great abandon, and to acknowledge what is truly important, as she slowly slips away from this life...

I also realize, that my friend is not only transmuting all vestiges of her ego into love, as her husband wisely observes, but she is also transmuting all of ours - inviting us to release all that does not serve, so that we can more genuinely and purely receive and reflect the essence of love...

If that is not yoga - I do not know what is!

If that is not love - then nothing else can be...

I briefly scan my in box, and note that several messages there, are messages of love - given and conveyed, some arriving unexpectedly from people I have not seen or spoken to in years or decades, and I begin to internally recite "All you need is Love!" I recite this over and over again throughout the day, as if it were a mantra - throughout my early morning drive with the sun rising in the sky and in my heart - I recite it, and strive to embody it, in my teaching, and in my celebration of a 30th anniversary later in the evening...

We cannot know all that will be in our lives - or the reasons for those things that are - or are not - but I believe they are all part of a bigger picture and a much greater plan. Still, the simple reality of why we are here - and why we have been given the lives that we have - is to learn to give, receive, and embody love as fully and as genuinely as we can. Nothing else matters...

A Course in Miracles simply offers this lesson: "Teach only love, for that is what you are..."

Every act, every moment, every lesson, every friendship and relationship, every job, every decision, and every difficulty and conflict that is encountered - is nothing more and nothing less than an opportunity to learn, to experience, and to become the embodiment of love itself, as an infinite expression of all its countless manifestations...

In the late afternoon, I pick up The Book of Awakening, by Mark Nepo, and I read this entry:

To See with Love

"Enlightenment is intimacy with all things."
~ Jack Kornfield

"Each of us spins repeatedly from blindness to radiance, from dividedness to wholeness, and it is our impulse to stay in touch with all that is alive that keeps us from staying lost. It is the impulse to be intimate...

It is love that keeps us moving back into wholeness when divided. To love by admitting our connection to everything is how we stay well. Allowing the current of another's inwardness to connect with our own is the beginning of both intimacy and enlightenment..."

Love invites us to tear down walls, rend veils, to become all that we can be - it asks that we see with new eyes - that we transmute, transform, and change fundamentally - all that we think, and are, and do, and become - until we are nothing less than a true spark of the Divine, shining light everywhere, eternally, for truly, what else is there?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"