Thoughts on Happiness and Epiphany

I've been reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I stumbled upon this book, last fall while I was in Vancouver, and ordered it upon my return, but I am just finding the time now to immerse myself in it.

It is a good read, filled with many insights, and I hope to make some further references to this book. For now, I would like to share part of a list the author compiled from what people shared which contributed to their own happiness and well-being. As we begin a New Year and contemplate changes in direction that we may want to make, or set intentions, some of these may resonate.

On this day, that is the Feast of the Epiphany, I spent part of my day writing several poems, instead of doing work that I should do, and I offer this first verse of one poem, to honor this process of listening, of giving, and receiving, of changing and setting intentions, that hopefully will bear fruit throughout the year:

Epiphany

On this Feast of the Epiphany--
When The Magi came,
Bearing gifts of Gold,
Frankincense and Myrrh,
May I give birth to
My own inner epiphanies...

From The Happiness Project:

Forget the past.
Do stuff.
Talk to strangers.
Stay in touch.
Stop the venting and complaining.
Go outside.
Spread joy.
Don't expect it to last forever. Everything ends and that's okay.
Stop buying useless crap.
Make mistakes.
Give thanks: for the ordinary and the extraordinary.
Create something that wasn't there before.
Notice the color purple.
Make footprints: "I was here."
Be silly. Be light.
Shit happens - count on it.
Friends are more important than sex.
Choose not to take things personally.
Be loving and love will find you.
Soak it in.
This too shall pass.
"Be still and know that I am God."
Imagine the eulogy: how do I want to be remembered?
Expect a miracle.
I am already enough.
Let it go.
Light a candle...

To be continued. It is a long list!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"