What I Know

Late yesterday afternoon, as I was tackling the grueling traffic on the beltway, here in the Washington DC area, on my way to teach my weekly yoga class at Willow Street Yoga Center, I asked myself, "What do I know?"

In other words, what have I learned that has shifted my consciousness, or my perspective recently - or what I have learned or practiced that has enabled me to deal with life's circumstances or curve balls.

Earlier this week, I read the article "Who Do You Think You Are?" by Sally Kempton on the site: Patheos.com

In this article, Sally discusses how to work with "avidya," a Sanskrit word which describes the basic ignorance of who we are, and she cites Sutra 2.5, of Patanjali's Yoga Sutra. This is what Sally has to say:

"'Avidya,' the sutra says, 'is to mistake what is perishable for the eternal, what is impure for the pure, what is sorrow for what is happiness, and the not-Self for the True Self.'"

I've read and taught the sutras many times throughout the years, but this week, this simple verse, spoke volumes to me. I am also continuing to reflect on the teaching from the Bhagavad Gita that reminds us that we are only entitled to our actions, but never to the fruit of our actions - for these belong only to God. In other words, we must act freely - without expectations and with no attachment to the outcomes.

If I could truly embody both of these teachings, I would experience a freedom that is simply unimaginable. I would also be able to live more fully in the present moment. Nothing else would matter...

In recent weeks, I have been led to include, what I call a "Prayer of Surrender" in my meditations. Instead of asking for specific things, I simply lay all the things I wish to release at the feet of the Divine, and only ask for what I - or others - most need. This has been very liberating. After all, who, better than God knows what is most indicated and necessary in another person's life?

Yesterday, I also ran across this quote:

"Surrender is the simple but profound wisdom
of yielding to, rather than opposing the flow of life."
~ Eckhart Tolle

Today, I read these words in a poem:

"To live in this world
you must be able
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go."
~ Mary Oliver

What do I know?

I know that no one appointed me "Master of the Universe."
I know that I do not have the big picture.
I know that I can't control anything.
I know that the things that are meant to be, are those that happen.
I know that if things are in the flow, then they are what they must be.
I know that what is in the past - is in the past.
I know that what was - WAS.
I know that what is happening now, is what is meant to be.
I know that what is - IS.
I know that what others do and I perceive as a hurt, is really about them.
I know that I can turn anything around by changing the way I see it.
I know that your perspective is not mine. And yet neither is fully accurate.
I know that the things we worry about, are the things that never happen.
I know I can counter something energetically, by blessing it.
I know that I need to keep working on all of these things.
I know that everything is in God's hands.
I know that everything will be as it should be.
I know that everything is perfect as it is, in this moment.
I know I am never alone even if I think that I am.
I know that we are all one - and cannot be separate from one another.
And I know, that if I embody all of these things, I will very slowly, but deliberately, whittle away at the ignorance of my True Nature.

And thank you to Forensicscience.net for the "shout out as great blog!
http://www.forensicscience.net/best-reiki-blogs



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"