What I Learned from Roosters and Earthworms

Yesterday was one of those days that seemed beautiful beyond description. Here we were - the very beginning of January - and the weather was exquisite. The sky was blue, and the temperature - well - shall we say - it was delicious!

On my way to teach a meditation introduction class at Willow Street Yoga, in Maryland, my heart was brimming with so much joy and well-being. I felt as fully present to each moment as I could possibly be, taking in every detail of my surroundingsl. I felt one with the trees in downtown Silver Spring - with every twig, and each and every color that I perceived looked so brilliant and radiant.

After a wonderful class, attended by some lovely people, I drove home, ambling up the bucolic Georgetown Pike, taking in the broad expanses of rolling hills and the beautiful landscape, in addition to the occasional horse here and there. All of a sudden, traffic came to a virtual stop on this two lane road. And as I looked ahead, I saw three roosters crossing back and forth on the road. One of them kept coming back, oblivious to the fact that traffic had stopped dead in its tracks. In any event, it put a broad smile on my face!

Then last night, I dreamed of worms all over the place - not a lot of them - just a few - but they were on my bed, and that definitely grossed me out.

A friend suggested today, that the roosters were a powerful totem. It occurred to me, that perhaps the worms were as well. Maybe they were both delivering messages to me. So, I took the time to look up what they signify:

Rooster

"A Rooster brings enthusiasm and humor and a sense of optimism.

The Rooster is a totem of great power and mystery with ties to the ancient past and clues to your own hidden powers. It is the enemy of evil spirits and can bound them with the light of day.

Earthworm

When Earthworm appears, it is a time to work over all we have experiencing, a time to examine and digest what has occurred in our life. then we can cast off what is not beneficiary or necessary - clean house emotionally. This allows new growth.

Earthworm reminds us that no matter how small our efforts seem, we are reshaping the earth around us. The past influences the present and the future. Unless we recognize and acknowledge the past, we can repeat the same mistakes...

Earthworm reminds us that no matter how difficult thing might have been, new growth and new hope await us.

Earthworm teaches grown, regeneration, healing and reflection. He shows us to ground our spiritual and emotional sides to emerge transformed and renewed..."

Everything in your life comes bearing a message of some sort, if we have the eyes to see, and the ears to hear - every encounter, every experience, everything! Today - and everyday - give intent to listen a little deeper. It is part of my yoga theme for this coming week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"