A Butterfly's Dance of Joy and Transformation

This morning, after rising early, meditating, and going for a long walk, I went down to the river. It is the last day of school in this county, and there were a lot of people and quite a flurry of activity in the park. So I walked down to the boat launch area to survey the river and to do my "river meditations" and practices, which I like to refer to as my "river ablutions."

After a while, unbeknownst to me, something perched itself on my arm. I saw it out of the corner of my eye - in my peripheral vision on my right, and I freaked. It looked like some huge spider. I tried to brush it off a couple of times, but it wouldn't leave. Finally, I brushed it off - with my car keys, which I still had in my left hand, and it flew away.

Well, I thought it flew away, then I noticed it quivering on the ground towards my left. I watched it, feeling incredibly remorseful. It was a white and black butterfly, like nothing I had seen before. It quivered, and attempted to hobble here and there, and remained motionless.

I immediately began to pray for it - and send it Reiki energy - imploring the wounded butterfly to forgive me. I felt so sorry and guilty for having brought it any pain. After a while, it attempted to fly, and hopped and came down a few times.

I continued praying and sending it Reiki and implored with God - and gave the intent for this poor little butterfly to receive as much healing energy for as long as it needed it. After some more time, I approached it, and it did get up and flew around a bit. It rested, and then continued to get up and flew around some more, each time for a longer amount of time, until it eventually flew away. I am hoping it will be okay, at least, that is what I heard inside of me.

This butterfly wanted my attention. It really wanted to hold on - and was attracted to my arm. And I of course, reacted out of fear initially. How silly. It was obviously not afraid of me!

I came home after running errands very much believing this butterfly had a message for me, so I looked up its meaning, and so many insights came my way:

Transmutation, Dance of Joy

The butterfly is the symbol of change, joy and color.
It is the symbol of the soul.

They remind us that life is a dance,
not to take things quite so seriously.
They also remind us to get up and move.
Dance brings the sweetness of life.

Butterflies bring color and joy to your life.
Look at them and remember what joy is in your life,
if its a lot or a little, it is still joy.

They teach us that growth and transformation does not have to be traumatic:
it can occur gently, sweetly, and joyfully.

If a butterfly totem has shown up in your life,
make note of the most important issues in your life,
and see what has to be changed.

I had to stop - and reflect more deeply on this sentence:

"If its a lot or a little, it is still joy..."

Another reading affirmed that butterflies are messengers for change. If it comes to us hurt or ill, it asks us to stop keeping our joy at bay. Butterfly gently requests that we allow the natural transformation of things in our lives...

Still another reading reminded me that life is short, and so it is to be valued. Again, it is a reminder of change - both internal and external - and of looking for the sweetness of life. It is also about celebrating beauty and enjoying the journey of life, and settling into the rhythm of life as well. Again, another indication of the importance of going with the flow...

Yesterday, I did a Reiki session for a friend. While I continue to do my own Reiki practices, I had not done a session in a while. Then last night, I settled down with a book a colleague recommended, titled - The Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Reiki - One Source, One Spirit: Interconnecting Theology, Science and the Practice of Reiki, by Ruth Mayeux Allen, PhD.

I found it a fascinating read, because the author's personal experiences and journey were unlike anything I have read before. I actually called on her spirit to merge with mine as I sent the butterfly some Reiki.

Last night, after an email exchange with a dear soul companion, who shared what she would like to do with her gifts and life after she becomes an empty-nester, I began to think creatively of different things that I could do - or different things I had considered at some point - such as pastoral care in a hospital, or offering Reiki to cancer patients, or blending spirituality with healing and or yoga - or maybe exploring something totally different...

I went to bed, filled with infinite possibilities, and this morning, it took a small and beautiful creature, whose life I almost destroyed to remind me of the beauty and gift of life - and the fact that God is not finished with me yet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"