Ruminations With My First Cup of Coffee

This morning, as I sat down with my first cup of coffee, I pondered these questions, and then, I sent them to a select few, telling them, that I didn't expect answers from them, but I got some incredible insights and responses back from pretty incredible people anyway. Perhaps my first "mistake" was deciding to have a cup of coffee before sitting down to meditate:

"So many great teachers - Byron Katie, Adyashanti, Buddhist practitioners, and Hindu sages - instruct that the key to happiness, well-being, and so forth - is accepting what is - and letting go...

But, while I believe this on some level, it also does not resonate on other levels...

If we accepted what is, all of the time - we would not change philosophically, ideologically, scientifically, or spiritually...

If someone didn't think outside of the box - great discoveries or advances would not have been made.

If we accept what is - do we fully awaken? Or - maybe it is possible that we awaken when we accept what is - AND push boundaries as well...

If we didn't awaken and had just continued to accept what is - my yoga community would not have unraveled. But, if had not unraveled - it would not have led to subsequent growth or addressing what was flawed and not healthy within the system. Taking it further, if as a global community, we had not addressed flaws in our system, some totalitarian regimes would not have been toppled, and slavery as a way of life might still exist - or it may have taken longer to overcome.

If we accept what is in relationships - do we not try to overcome what is limiting then - or what we think is wrong? Do we tolerate abuse? When do we salvage or help it transcend - and when do we just let it go?

Of course, we must accept what we are - and who we are - and where we are - but if we do - are we defined by this? Limited by this? Who are we anyway?

Is there a fine line between accepting what is - and working to change the world and circumstances in our life? And how does one decide this? Is there a moment where one just tries - and then decides to let go? Or, what if one lets go too early???

Or, is everything in this world, just an illusion - or as Yogananda taught - like a movie - and all that matters is how we play our roles?

Okay... This is what came after my morning cup of coffee... (Yeah, I know you're going to ask what I was drinking...)

Off to get MORE coffee at Starbucks and read my three newspapers. Maybe the answer will be there!"

Let me just leave you with those ruminations... I have to say, sometimes while I try to connect or reconcile various teachings - they get tangled up in a knot for me.

I received incredible insights as a response - and would share them here. But instead, I choose to contemplate these further, and perhaps invite your own reflections instead...

In the last few days, I've read some interesting Facebook, blog, and newsletter posts by former colleagues, who are - like me - questioning everything they had been taught - and that they taught themselves as yoga teachers. It is so fascinating to see the different directions everyone is taking - whether or not I resonate with them personally.

This week, I had the opportunity to attend a meditation and talk given by Adyashanti, a spiritual teacher, who raised many questions for me, inviting deep inquiry and further reflection on my part. Perhaps this is where all this comes from...


Next time, I better meditate first...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah yes, excellent Rumi-nations.

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"