Closing One Door and Opening Another

This year is slowly moving to a close. The days are getting shorter and the darkness is getting longer...

It has been a very interesting year, and those of you that have been following my posts, know that it has been tumultuous at best - at least during the beginning of this year.

My yoga community as it was, disintegrated, and after nearly three quarters of the year, portions of it have reassembled - or are in the process of doing so so. There are now several groupings that have been drawn to each other either through similar beliefs and convictions, or simply because of geography. Then there are those who are more or less opting to go it alone and give way to a whole other way of being, without the benefit of any support system that had been there previously...

For many years, yoga defined a large part of what I did - who I was - and where I put my energy and effort and resources. But that is no longer true. In the process of letting go of my community and re-imagining my life - I reclaimed an enormous amount of time. And while at first I felt unmoored and unteathered - now I feel free and beholden to nothing and no one - and to no particular style of yoga with all its dictates, dogma and requirements. In the process, I found my own voice and tapped into my own inner wisdom, and I have never looked back. In the process, I re-discovered what it was about this discipline that first drew me to it, when it was still integrated into my life, and did not come to rule and dominate over it...

Somewhere along the way, I knew I needed to rework my website. And while it's initial launching back in 2007 happened effortlessly and almost miraculously - everything coming together quickly and smoothly - this time it was different. I went through a series of false starts and stops, and something inside of me knew that the direction I was going in wasn't quite right. 

A couple of weeks ago, as I was just about to commit to a big project, I went on a walk. All of a sudden the insight came to me that I was going about everything in the wrong way. It was not about reworking my site - but about letting it go and letting it die. It was about giving birth to a new one.

And so I asked the Voice - what shall I call it? And all of a sudden I heard inside of me - "Call it 'Dwell in Your Heart.'" I felt incredible peace in that moment.

I came home and searched and found that the domain name was available! Then I called a friend I've known since college to tell her about it, and described to her my wishes for this new site. In less than twenty-four hours, we had a working site and template, and under her guidance I learned to do a lot of the work myself. And while it may not have all the bells and whistles and the sophistication of many sites - it was fresh and new and clean and simple - and I knew that I was finally closing the door to my past experiences - and opening the door to another phase of my life...

It's funny how sometimes we work against the current. One of my favorite quotes by Shiva Rea, the well known yoga teacher simply reminds us not to push the river - but instead to let it flow. Once I did that, everything fell into place - just like it did with my first site over over five years ago.

I invite you to visit my new site which is nearly complete:

www.dwellinyourheart.com

A new feature I have added is a "Daily Inspiration" which I will try to update daily.

Today, listen deeply and perhaps close the door on something that you have been meaning to leave behind. And open the door to something new. You might be surprised!

Comments

Unknown said…
I need a "like" button for this. Sometimes retrofitting just will not do. Time to start fresh. Namaste.

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"