Make Room for the New...

The much needed rain alternates between a fierce pouring at times and a gentle flow that is rhythmic and soothing at the same time, without once letting up. It provides a wonderful backdrop to my morning meditation...

The rain feels very cleansing and it is a reminder to me that as we change seasons it is good to cleanse our bodies, our hearts, our spirits, and our living spaces as well...

It is a time to let go of the old - in order to make room for the new... 

And so, I go through my home - room by room - weeding and cleaning them all out of things that have outlived their usefulness, if they ever really had one - decluttering as much as I can - filling bags with clothing and boxes with appliances and other household goods for donation, which are promptly picked up by the end of September. Yes, out with the old - to make room for the new...

I am inspired to re-arrange my living room space - which has practically never been used in almost 22 years! It was never warm or inviting. Armed with so many insights from reading design articles, I spend an afternoon, listening to my intuition, until I re-assemble a room in a way that seems not only inviting - but is also airy and clean and fresh - all at the same time - without spending a single dollar - other than my own energy!

By re-arranging furniture - and in some rooms by just changing the configuration of pictures on the walls - and by clearing surface areas of knick knacks everywhere - I create spaces where energy flows unobtrusively...

I delight in letting go of what no longer serves and simplifying my life. Though I could easily spend a lot of money to create incredible spaces - this no longer interests me. I am content with what I have and strive for a more minimalist  and zen like way of of living. I have come to believe that "less is more," even though I have a way to go to embody this philosophy more fully. In the meantime, I love what I have, find myself wanting less (except for fine wine and travel!) and am learning to delight in greater simplicity.

I strive to make my home lighter - and my body and soul as well... I bring out my fall tablecloths and towels, rich in harvest colors and proceed to decorate the house for this time of year. The season shifts, and so do I...

Yesterday I led my yoga students through a practice of revolved poses and twists of all sorts. It is the type of practice that can be exhausting - but very cleansing as well. It helps the body to detoxify and the change of seasons in Ayurveda, is the appropriate time for doing this...

I head into this new season - and a new month of crisp and clean air when the leaves will slowly be turning all sorts of golden and radiant colors - knowing I have let go of the old, to make room for the new...

I am not quite sure what the new will be, but I know that it is coming...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"