Dancing with Luminosity and Sacred Mysteries

I have been delinquent in posting of late. But as we ease deeper into this summer season, I - like many of you - am just slowing down to more natural rhythms. What gets done gets done - and what doesn't - just doesn't!

Right now, I am done teaching yoga for the summer, except for an occasional class here or there, and I am slowly making my way through every closet, drawer, and room, weeding out things I do not need, and organizing as well. It feels good!

A couple of weeks ago, I had the honor and pleasure of studying once again with my Reiki teacher, Frans Stiene, who was here visiting from Australia. I decided to re-sit the Reiki III training since I had not done so for a few years. It turns out, the group I spent time with, was the best group ever. They were the most interesting, educated, sensitive group I have ever done any training with. No one spoke out of turn, or constantly, and there was mutual respect and a space for healing was held for others at all times. The practices were deep, and even more so when shared in the company of a wonderful community. Though I normally don't do things where I have to spend a lot of time with people anymore, I enjoyed this experience thoroughly.

One of the amazing blessings of the weekend was to connect in person with Susan Andrews, an avid reader of this blog throughout the years. I don't often get feedback on what I post, so it is always an honor and a pleasure when I do.

Susan and I were paired up for one of the healing practices during the weekend, and it was indeed a beautiful experience. Afterward, we spoke of our faith journeys, and at some point we talked about spiritual practices from our tradition that had nourished us, and which we later came to embrace once again, such as the praying of the rosary. In particular, we focused on the Luminous Mysteries, which had been added more recently to this ancient practice, and which I had been more resistant towards fully honoring.

But Susan shared such a beautiful understanding of these mysteries, which focused on occasions that were not previously recognized in Jesus' life, starting with his baptism in the river Jordan.

Having just been to Israel in the last year, and having had the opportunity to step into that very river on my 58th birthday, I reflected, on the meaning of baptism and stepping into a new life - opportunities we receive every now and then in our lives. I thought of conversion, and all that implies, and remembered praying for conversion of heart over a year ago, and being granted my wish in a way I could not have imagined or anticipated.

The second of the mysteries focuses on the wedding feast at Cana - and the turning of water into wine. What a festive opportunity for a first miracle! Having presided at a number of weddings myself over the years, I know how joyous an occasion this can be, and how the celebration is often sealed with a toast! Jesus begins his public ministry in a prayerful and very public way - commemorating the union of a couple whom we know nothing about. This mystery reminds us to also be prayerful and mindful as we go about our own mundane activities and work.

In the third mystery, the Kingdom of God is proclaimed and we are shown what qualities we are to espouse if we are to become faithful members of this kingdom. We must love our enemies as ourselves - even those who persecute us. We are called to be poor in Spirit and to seek justice in all our endeavors and especially for others.

The fourth mystery is the Transfiguration when Jesus goes up to a mountain to pray with two disciples and there is visibly changed - becoming radiant - and all of a sudden he is accompanied by the presence of both Moses and the Prophet Elijah. There is a fundamental change and luminosity that occurs in Jesus that reminds us that we too, can change - even profoundly at times - and as a result, we can encourage those around us to change as well - in our homes, in our work - in whatever encounters we have as we go about our day. We never know how deeply we can touch those around us.

Lastly, we have the mystery of Transubstanciation, which perhaps, has caused many Christians the greatest difficulty throughout the centuries. The truth is - we not only have the opportunity to imbibe the body and blood of Christ in the sacrament, but we can literally "eat" God in all the beauty of nature that surrounds. We can feast with awe on a sunrise or sunset - or in the music of singing birds, and in all the wonderful things that surround us. We can consume the love that is offered to us by those we care for, and our pets - so that we literally consume the Divine with our eyes!

I have not articulated this as beautifully as Susan did, but in that moment, my eyes and my heart were opened profoundly and I realize I was given such a gift of insight!

Thank you so much Susan! This one is for you!

Comments

Erin said…
Thank you for another beautiful reflection, Olga!
Olga Rasmussen said…
You are most welcome Erin!

Sending love,
Olga
Unknown said…
Wow Olga truly spiritual
I loved the articles

God bless you
Neelam
Olga Rasmussen said…
And God bless YOU Neelam!
Blessings and love,
Olga

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"