A Soul Untethered

Years ago, the book The Untethered Soul, by Michael A. Singer was making the rounds. Everyone I knew in the yoga world was either reading it or quoting it.

Yesterday, as I was journaling and reflecting on a manuscript a friend had sent me for review, I had this image of my life and my soul as coming unglued or becoming untethered from its source and its essence. 

This past year has been characterized by challenges and difficulties on so many fronts. Personally, the year was punctuated by the loss of several family members and friends, and I reflected on the fragility of life during my Thanksgiving meal prayer. I recalled a year marked by sadness but also by joy. In the end, I chose to focus on the many blessings received throughout the course of the year, thus laying the foundation for even more blessings in the coming year.

When we feel untethered it is a reminder that we are simply ungrounded. Events on the political spectrum and our personal lives were just catalysts and excuses for lives coming undone and unraveled this year.

Luckily, there is a solution for all of these things. We can simply return to the practices that ground us.

As I immersed myself in spiritual writings over the last few days, I recommitted to a healthier life in the coming year in every way possible. I promised to pay attention to self care in the spiritual, physical, and mental realms of my existence.

We are often nudged in the direction we should be moving towards, until we do. We just need to listen and pay attention to our inner promptings and wisdom.

As a young child, I remember not only being very fearful of death, but most especially of being caught in the middle of a cataclysmic event unprepared. Perhaps because I was raised Catholic, I had this intense fear of facing the end of the world with my soul not at peace. I mean, who has those kinds of thoughts or dreams?

I once had a dream when I was young involving one such End of the World scenario where I was fleeing a burning city by crossing an Indiana Jones rope like bridge over an abyss which promptly began to fall apart. This was very significant because I would never be caught dead - no pun intended - crossing such a thing - and because I was desperately in search of someone who could administer the Sacrament of Reconciliation - or as it was known at the time - Confession, before dying! Really! What child even thinks up that kind of thing?

Because this fear was so intense, I decided to prepare for the Second Coming as it were, by regularly practicing the repetition of this simple mantra: "Into your hands I commend my Spirit." There! If it was good enough for the saints - it was good enough for me! At least, it brought me great relief at the time!

But I digress. Back to the dream and the disintegrating bridge!

Just as I was about to fall, feeling doomed for all Eternity, I felt a strong, sinewy arm reach and grab me, and pull me to safety! I was delivered to the other side with little fanfare. I was safe!

There were many variations to this dream over the years and in each case I was saved or retrieved from a certain demise.

I felt protected in all these situations: Looked over by God, my angels, my guides, loved ones who had passed over... it really doesn't matter who in the final analysis. it was the realization that I was not alone that seemed important. That really - none of us are.

Yes, I was feeling untethered. But then the memory of this dream - that I had not probably recalled in years, simply wafted into my consciousness and I was reminded once again, that I am not alone. I am not untethered. 

I breathed a sigh of relief. And recommitted to the practices that would remind me once again, that I have lifelines out there, if only I am willing to see them, believe them, and accept them!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"