Our Greatest Fear

The last couple of days have been rainy, so I spent a lot of time commuting to three yoga classes at Willow Street Yoga Center in Maryland - one I taught, another I observed, and the last one I took as a student.

I loved the class that I observed this overcast and soggy morning. The theme was perfect. This wonderful teacher, Carrie Ganz, spoke of the things she drew inspiration from and then proceeded to be a source of inspiration to her class, uplifting their hearts, and drawing out the best in them. The teacher was so present and compassionate to her students - many of which live with pain and serious chronic conditions. It was a gentle class, and the teacher totally exemplified the characteristics of an Inspired Anusara Yoga teacher!

Then I took my own class. My teacher's theme was living with courage as an attribute and expression of the heart. We worked with challenging backbends that felt delicious and everyone arose to the occasion! It was a wonderful way to spend a rainy mid-day by opening our hearts to all that life has to offer. I thought of how lucky I am, to be able to both take classes and teach in this wonderful environment that is so nourishing and life-giving! It inspires me and challenges me to grow and improve as a teacher, and other teachers with their discerning and loving eyes, often help one to deepen one's practice and teaching.

At the end of class my teacher shared a quote from Marianne Williamson that I recognized and have loved, so I looked it up again, and shared some "tweets" from it. I reproduce it here because it gives me much food for thought, and I'm sure all of you will be edified by it as well...

Our Greatest Fear - Marianne Williamson

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other
people won't feel insecure around you.

We are born to make manifest the glory of
God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"