Sacred is the Pause the Practice Offers

This week, I focused on the practice as an opportunity to take a sacred pause in our days. Sometimes, the only time we may have to pause, is that time between two breaths. Thus, the practice is a gift we give to ourselves. I share here, my notes on my opening and closing comments, which I more often than not, always write out for myself before a class, so that I can periodically review them. Some aspects of these comments have appeared here, on this blog, in some way or another...

"Let us honor the wisdom of pausing…

We take a pause out of our day to come to class – to enter into sacred practice with one another…

Therefore, “sacred is the pause…”

Yes – “sacred is the pause that draws us into stillness…”

Recently I read these words from: Seven Sacred Pauses by Macrina Wiederkehr, and hers are the last words I read at midnight before retiring:

"In the middle of my morning's work
I break for blessings;

a deep breath...

I honor the wisdom of pausing."

**It is important for us to take sacred pauses as we do our work. The practice is indeed a sacred pause. But sometimes, a sacred pause for us, can only be a few breaths…Close your eyes and listen to these words by various sages on work and pausing…

"When you work you are a flute
through whose heart

the whispering of the hours

turns to music."

~ Kahlil Gibran


"When your spirit

mingles with Spirit,

you are transformed

into a temple of God."


"Work is love made visible."

~ Kahlil Gibran


"A bitter heart is not good fertilizer

for the fruit I want to bring forth

from my day's labor."


"Each pause can be a blessing moment."


"Equanimity is the stability of mind

that allows us to be present

with an open heart

no matter how wonderful

or difficult conditions are."


"I stand before what is with an open heart.

And with an open heart I dwell in possibility."


"Sacred is the pause that draws us into stillness."


"Open my heart that I may see

the grace that waits for me in every moment."

Teach me to live awake."


"Sometimes the most important thing

in a whole day is the rest

we take between two deep breaths,

or the turning inwards in prayer

for five short minutes."

~ Etty Hilesum


I invite you this morning to enter into the practice and the sacred pause it offers…

Closing Remarks and Poem:

Sacred is the Pause

Sacred is the pause
between the breaths

"Sacred is the pause
that draws us into stillness."

Every pause invites us
to slow down and be still

"Be still and know,
for I am God."

May I see the grace
in every moment
and every pause

"Each pause can be
a blessing moment."

May we always pause
between the breaths

And may we always

"Break for blessings;
[with] a deep breath...
[so that we may truly]
honor the wisdom of pausing."

For sacred is the pause
that draws us into stillness"

"Be secluded and silent. Stay in the delight. Practice quiet and joy." - Rumi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"