Hard Edges, Soft Edges

There are hard edges to every soul...

And there are soft edges to every heart...

And vice versa...I know...Because I came into this life embodying both...

I walk, in the intense heat of the morning, reflecting on so much, and I hear the words of Snatam Kaur, a subtle track, laid underneath a rich mantra, whispered solely for me, given and received as a personal message:

"Follow your heart!
Fulfill your destiny!
Awaken your soul!"

At a time of great transitioning and re-imagining my life through a different lens, these words - along with the new personal mantra I have embraced in my meditations - arrive as a precious reminder of the never-ending discovery of my own true purpose...

I tell a neighbor, early in the morning, as she is watering her thirsty plants on what will be another scorching and record-setting day, that for too long I ignored my intuition - trusting the insights of others - sometimes more deeply than my own wisdom. But now I have chosen to listen more carefully, to the whispers of my inner soul, at times distancing myself from voices that drowned out my own...

I think too, of fellow Anusara Yoga Certified Teacher, Katie Lane, who wisely observed the inherent pulsation that is at the heart of the First Universal Principle of Alignment in Anusara Yoga - "Opening to Grace," which is by no means a static principle!

"The First Principle is both passive and active. There is a softening to receive the moment - without clinging or pushing away. And then, there is choosing to engage what's being offered, from the highest place inside."

Like each one of the subsequent Principles - there is a dance - sometimes there is a hardening that transpires - followed by a softening in our perspectives, our approaches, our understanding, and our embodiment of all that Grace offers...

I savor the words of Todd Norian, another gifted Anusara certified teacher, who reminds his readers in a recent newsletter, that:

"Grace is always present. ALWAYS. We don't experience it at the time because we are cloaked, blocked, or preoccupied with regrets from the past, resentment, sadness...or deep feelings of anxiety, worry, or loneliness."

I come home from my walk and re-read these words by Todd:

"The most important quality to get in touch with your deep inner longing of the heart is to awaken, a desire to evolve, to be free, or to just be happy..."

And of course to do this, he urges greater receptivity and softness...

Yes, there are always hard and rough edges to our experiences, situations, our spiritual practices, our work, and our relationships - but they also point the way to the inherent soft edges waiting to be re-discovered once more, at our very essence, that will lead us to the places we need to go...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"