A Year For Renewal and Health

A new year has commenced with a super moon, bearing better tidings, I hope.

I chose to dispense with my preferred rituals for ushering in a new year and instead record my theme for the coming year in my journal, which came to me from an unexpected gift.

Several friends set out to do the Camino in Spain this year. One, brought me a beautiful pendant from the region from where my family originated. It had a beautiful Celtic inscription on one side, with the the following words inscribed in Spanish on the other side:


"Renacimiento
Entusiasmo
Salud"

The moment I received it, sometime last fall, I knew that these words would comprise my theme for the coming year.

Renacimiento, can be translated literally as "rebirth," or as "renewal." Both of these seem appropriate for this juncture in my life.

This word is followed by "enthusiasm," and finally by "health."

I noticed that many people chose a word this year as their own theme, with the emphasis being on deciding upon just one word to somehow summarize the focus of the coming year.

The gift of this pendant and it's three inscriptions arrived unbidden and cannot be reduced to one word, and yet they are all interconnected.

To embody the spirit of renewal takes dedication and and true enthusiasm at its essence. And of course, renewal in body, mind, and spirit lead to greater health and well-being. What could be better in this current climate of strife and in a world that seems more dangerous and unbalanced than it has been in decades?

I sit this late afternoon, in the waning hours of the day, reflecting on these three words:


Renewal (rebirth)
Enthusiasm
Health

Dedication to embodying these attributes has invited several changes in my quotidian schedule. For example, I now begin my day by inscribing the same daily affirmations I hope will become a reality in my life. There are readings and practices I have also committed to doing on a daily basis.

As I approach the twilight and sunset of my life, I realize that the life that remains must be well lived, for no one else, but myself. I have no one else to please - and no goals but my own to set forth and strive to make a reality.

This year, may I step into the remains of the day and my life with greater intention. May I be more open to a new way of being and seeing. May I slow down and be more present. May I let go and forgive more readily and resolve to be more happy and healthy - and wealthy in all ways and in all planes of my existence. May I move forward, realizing that every moment that remains, offers an opportunity for renewal - for beginning again - and for change. May I regard every opportunity as a gift and receive it with greater enthusiasm. And may I cultivate and dedicate myself to the chosen practices that will result in greater health - of mind, and body, and spirit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"