Blessings

I have a dear friend whose birthday it is today. She signs everything she writes, every card, every note, every email, simply, with "Blessings." It is an offering of her heart.

Years ago, she gave me this beautiful little "Blessing" prayer that I laminated and fixed to my laptop, where it greets me every morning. I have shared this acrostic poem before on this blog, yet it bears repeating again, from time to time:

Blessings

Be present.
Let the day flow with grace. Be flexible.
Expect nothing. Give thanks for everything.
Surrender. Be open.
Speak only kindness.
Impart only love.
Never forget that you are not alone.
Give so that you may receive.
See goodness in yourself and others.

It is such a simple prayer, but a beautiful reminder of how we should live our lives, each and every day. Today, I honor my dear friend, and lift her up in my prayers. I will try to embody and reflect this simple prayer.

Yesterday, when I called to wish her a happy birthday, one day early, my friend had her beautiful daughter, a gifted musician, sing and play for me the song "Blessings" by Laura Story, that I have so come to love. It was such a fitting gift on so many levels, so filled with meaning for me.

I leave you with the lyrics to this beautiful song, and a link so that you may listen to it as well.

May your life be filled with infinite blessings and grace. May you always remember, that blessing others is the greatest gift you can ever give. Each blessing you offer, reverberates eternally, and may each one return, and be given back to you, a thousandfold!

"Blessings"
By Laura Story

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing
For prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears
What if the thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness
We doubt your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
And all the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win we know
The pain reminds this heart that this is not
This is not our home
It's not our home

What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if the thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if my greatest disappointment
Or this aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
What if trials of this life, the rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise

Blessings to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"