I Felt the Earth Move Under My Feet

We live in very interesting times indeed...

So we are told, by intuitives, psychics and scientists alike...

On Tuesday, I literally "felt the earth move under my feet," as Carole King once sang - and was ready for "the sky to come tumbling down," as I ran to the basement in a state of confusion, once I fully realized what was going on. My son reminded me, the basement is for tornadoes. You run outside if there is an earthquake. And truly, I've been through them before, but not in at least, three decades...

This earthquake was significant, because I live in Virginia, about an hour from the epicenter. The quake registered a 5.9, and was felt up and down the Eastern seaboard.

Today, we prepare for what may be the worst hurricane to hit some areas in decades.

Is there a hidden message in all of this? Many can be drawn, but this simple quote that Marianne Williamson posted today, says it all for me:

"When in the midst of outer chaos,
seek the inner peace of God.
Your inner peace is the power
that will then end the outer war."
~ Marianne Williamson

I realized, as the ground was shaking, in a way that had not occurred in this area in a century or more, that I could still come undone pretty easily. I shook like a leaf afterward. So much for being prepared to die at any moment. I even forgot to say my "dying mantra" which I have rehearsed over and over again over the years.

Life can be gone in an instant. I mindful of this, when I reflect on the news that Steve Jobs resigned as CEO of Apple because of his health. This hit close to home for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact we are the same age. And then, there was also the announcement by Pat Summit, the coach of the women's basketball team at the University of Tennessee, that she had been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. This, coming from a woman who has won more basketball games than any other man or woman!

We do not know the moment or the hour, but in each one, we should live as if our every breath were our last one. We should make each moment count. Our meditation, yoga, and spiritual practices enable us to remember this - even if we do forget it momentarily in an earthquake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"