Morning Stillness

"A simple but radical spiritual practice 
is to accept whatever arises in the Now - 
within and without." 
~Eckart Tolle

The river was perfectly still this morning. And I considered how there is stillness, even in the eye of a storm - perhaps reminding me how the coming season becomes very much like a storm as we forget the reason for the season and why we celebrate the various traditions that we do. It's all ultimately about love - it's experience and expression in community with those we love, and those that are difficult to love as well...

Those of you who have followed this blog over the years know that river is a metaphor for my life. It either reflects my current state of being - or teaches me what I need to learn...

Last week, a dear friend gave me the book Stillness Speaks by Eckhart Tolle. I had read it years ago, but took it as a sign that I should read it again. And so I placed it on my nightstand, that I could absorb small morsels at a time.

Everything of late is inviting me to greater stillness, and so the river reflected the messages I had received from so many different places.

As we enter into the holiday season - commencing with Thanksgiving this week - and culminating with the preparation of Advent and the celebrations of Chanakah, Christmas, and Kwanzaa - just to name a few - may you seek stillness as the commercial aspects of the season pull you away from your center and its true message, and its invitation to being more present in the moment - the only time there is...


"When your attention moves into the Now, 
there is an alertness. 
It is as if you were waking up from a dream, 
the dream of thought, 
the dream of past and future. 
Such clarity, such simplicity. 
No room for problem making. 
Just this moment as it is." 
~ Eckhart Tolle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"