Living in Grace - The River Speaks

I have not come down to the river in weeks, perhaps months - this river I have loved and which has nourished my soul at every step, for the last seven years...

I look on longingly as I watch two kayakers return from their morning sojourn, and then stop to banter with another kayaker ready to launch.

What I would not give to set my soul free upon that river today!

So many changes are occurring all around me - and many deaths as well. I guess if one lives long enough one bears witness to these kinds of things more and more frequently...

I reflect on pending life changes, that are somewhat unexpected - and my Inner Wisdom counteracts limiting thoughts by singing instead this directive from the Psalmist:

"Do not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day..."

Other messages arrive, especially this one, from a beloved figure of the 14th century:

"All shall be well,
and all shall be well,
and all manner of things
shall be well."
~ Julian of Norwich

The day is beautiful - sunny, and the air is slightly crisp, and I lose myself in Lovingkindness practice for myself and others in need - and it truly warms my soul and my heart.

I sit, and am grateful for this day, when we remember veterans who gave their lives so that we might live ours...

I think of this year, and endeavors I have undertaken, to create free daily meditations as well as a book to introduce others to this ancient practice. I tell myself that numbers do not matter, and if just one person is touched by this work, then the work is all worthwhile. I imagine the fruits of my practice and work expanding like the ripples on this river, reaching all four corners of this earth...

When I return home, souls I have never met respond that today's post was exactly what was needed to hear, and I am grateful beyond measure!

I look into the wide expanse of the river, surrounded by the denuded trees - laying their souls bare - realizing that nothing can hide in their shadow...

I ask for insights, to be shown the way as I walk through a grove of trees standing by the bank of the river, and I pause, and marvel at one stump - with two "arms" growing up towards the sky -resembling a yogini's limbs doing Urdhva Hastasana! On close inspection, I can see "her shoulder blades" drawing towards each other, supporting and lifting this tree's heart to the Divine!

And then I notice another yogini tree - just a few steps behind - a tree bending deeply backwards - as if doing her sun salutations before the river at dawn!

I am reminded to trust - to keep my heart open - and to give thanks for every little thing!

I think of this beautiful quote by James Baldwin, sent to me by a friend, also going through her own life transitions, which I have been quietly marinating for a week or so. I am reminded of it as I watch a squirrel perched on a tree stump, surveying the river, deep in contemplation:

"Any real change implies the breakup of the world as one has always known it, the loss of all that gave one an identity, the end of safety. And at such a moment, unable to see and not daring to imagine what the future will now bring forth, one clings to what one knew, or dreamed that one possessed. Yet, it is only when a man is able, without bitterness or self-pity, to surrender a dream he has long possessed that he is set free - he has set himself free - for higher dreams, for greater privileges."

I set myself free, not knowing where it will lead me or where it will end...

I pledge once again to walk my path, knowing that I carry within, all the wisdom and strength  that I need, remembering these wonderful words by the poet Rumi:

"The universe is inside of you.
Ask all from yourself."

I ask to be shown the way - and that I may see how to best harness the inner strength that I harbor within.

All shall be well. I am grateful. Changes come and changes go. Consciousness is deepened. The same messages are received from several different sources. I do the work that is required and I follow the path that is before me. Yes, I walk this path alone - but I am never truly alone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"