Seeing 20/20

Like many of you, I began this new month, new year, and new decade, full of expectations. But so far, this year of 2020, is all the more significant because I had cataract surgery.

What I came to realize is, that even though my sight seemed better the day after the first surgery, there have been many fluctuations, and that perhaps the idea of seeing 20/20 was more symbolic of seeing in a different way. Perhaps it was about seeing more deeply. 

Not on the outside.

But on the inside.


Since reading is very difficult for me at the moment, I have had to make some adjustments in my daily schedule, such as in making time to listen to things more. Luckily, I have a vast arsenal of podcasts, recorded lectures, and so forth to keep me entertained. It also means I need to sit, or recline, and close my eyes and rest more often. It's all good.

I never realized how sight dependent I am. Or how much reading I actually do on a daily basis. But here is the thing.

For nearly a year, I have been praying every day to become a deeper embodiment of surrender, and of non-grasping, and non-attachment.

And guess what? That is EXACTLY what I have gotten!

I don't know yet what the long range outcome of these surgeries may be. But this I know, I will not see in the same exact way.

EVER again.

I also know, that this year will be different. There are major changes looming in my life. Perhaps in yours as well.

I felt sorry for myself for a day, had a good cleansing cry, and then I snapped out of it. I told myself I can still see. That in itself is a blessing. 

That in itself is a gratitude practice.

My life will slow down even more. I might not be reading at a prodigious output anymore, but I'll be listening more. And perhaps by listening to interviews, I will learn to listen to others more as well.

Less talk.

More walk.


And listening.


I might even realize that I no longer need to hang on to the vast collection of books I own.

What were those things I had been praying for? Ah yes! 

Surrender,

Non-attachment.

Non-grasping.

Be careful what you ask for! 

You just may get it! And not in the way you might have imagined!

But, it's all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"