Grief is a Funny Thing

 Grief is a funny thing...

This is what I texted a friend this morning.

Today marks a year and a half since my father died... A lifetime ago, or only yesterday - depending on the day... There is no timetable for grief. It takes as long as it takes. It looks different for everybody. No two experiences are the same... And there is no right or wrong...

This morning, I donned my new "Blessed" hat I picked up at Lidl and went for a morning walk. It was cool and overcast. A perfect day and reflection of how I felt.

And then, unexpected and lovely things happened...

I ran into a woman walking a small, scruffy white dog and three cats - none of them on leashes, just slowly ambling about, and I struck up a conversation with their mom.

The cats, she said - think they are dogs. They literally walk with her and respond to her commands. They don't run off. She rescued one of them from a dumpster.

The little dog was old and one eyed, and re-named Pearl. She was all bark and no bite at first, but she warmed up to me, and stood right by me and her mom. She had been taken to a vet to be euthanized because her owners were simply done with her. The woman I was speaking to, works at that vet's place, and decided to adopt her, and she is now living her best life.

It's amazing what an unplanned encounter and a little love will do!

On my way back home, I contemplated these small moments of joyful connections, and then I caught two does, and one of them and I spent quite a bit of time talking and looking at each other...

I saw a majestic great blue heron take flight, and it took my breath away. And a little red cardinal in a tree as I rounded my way back home.

You never know what will make a difference during your day...

Finally, I offered blessings to the woman helping me get to the bottom of an issue on an online chat.

Grief is a funny thing... You never know what gifts it will bring.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"

A Christmas Poem