More on Divine Friendship

Yesterday, I found a few minutes in my schedule to go down and visit the river. I had not been down to visit in weeks, and after the heavy rains, I found that the parking lot by the boat ramp had been blocked off, and with good reason. The waters had risen to the level of the parking lot! It was truly an amazing sight to behold!

The cliff by the riverbank was no more!

I crossed the barriers and walked down to the edge where the water met both land and pavement - and marveled at how the edge of the cliff disappeared almost powerlessly into the waters. The Potomac River was as wide as I had ever seen it in these parts, and the currents were undeniably strong.

I observed with wonder at the strength and power of this river that had been a silent witness to my own healing journey these last couple of years. For nearly a year, I visited it every morning, offering my humble prayers and meditations at its banks. And now, I imagined what it would be like to try to navigate these waters with Grace, my trusty kayak. But of course, I knew that doing such a thing was beyond the realm of my abilities and safety for me. Still, I enjoyed a few moments by the swollen river bank, listening to the waters rushing by and lapping at the surface of its surrounding environs, now held captive by its power...

Experiencing the river in this manner, invited me to reflect on the passages I had been re-visiting on spiritual friendship by Paramahansa Yogananda. For one who has been graced with this experience of deep friendship, it in some ways, bears similarity to being embraced by these waters and endowed with the power and its infinite realm of possibilities such as this river now displayed. I can think of no greater or more meaningful gift one can receive in this life than true soul companionship, for it is truly, a gift of the spirit.

Here are some more passages worth pondering...

"Friendship consists in rejoicing in the good fortune of one's friends and in sympathizing with them in adversity...

Jealousy is self-love and death to friendship...

Divine love has its foundation in service on the spiritual and intuitional planes, and is unconditional and everlasting.

The greater the mutual service, the deeper the friendship...

Help your friend by being a mental, aesthetic, and spiritual inspiration to him or her....

The secret of Christ's strength lay in his love for all, even his enemies. Far better to conquer by love the heart of a person who hates you than to vanquish him by vindictive force...Thus will the flame of your love bury away the partitions of hatred and misery that separate your soul from other souls...

Practice loving those who do not love you. Feel for those who do not feel for you. Be generous to those who are generous only to themselves. If you heap hatred upon your enemy, neither he nor you will be able to perceive the inherent beauty of your soul...

Be true to yourself and to others, and you will gain the friendship of God..."

Today, give intent to be a true friend to someone. But you must love yourself first. Practice loving someone who does not love you. Be generous - as your dearest friend has been generous with you. For in this simple act, you will perceive - both the inherent beauty of your soul - and that of all others that you encounter. May you realize that in this inherent beauty, you are all one!

Comments

Simone Heurich said…
This is such a great reminder of truth. I have been studying the Course in Miracles daily for over a year and a half, so this perspective of loving another, whether they love you back or not, is becoming more natural to me. I do bump up against my ego and realize I can either choose separation or love. The separation is so painful and the place of love is so free. I appreciate that I am aware of the difference and I have a choice. Thanks be to you in love.
Olga Rasmussen said…
Ah yes! Such a hard lesson - but a great one to practice! I have a few folks everyday I practice sending healing energy to - or some times just do "lovingkindness" meditation.

Thanks for your sharing!
Love and blessings,
Olga

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"