An Invincible Summer

Yesterday, after teaching a private lesson to a wonderful yoga student, I spontaneously hopped into my car and drove down to Charlottesville, about two hours away from where I live, and the home of the University of Virginia, the magnificent institution my son graduated from a year and a half ago.

I had not returned since his graduation, and I was amazed by all the changes that I encountered along the way. Snow had been predicted for later in the evening, so I enjoyed riding out ahead of it, and taking in the bucolic scenery in the depths of winter.

As I worked with my student earlier in the day, I was reminded of this quote by Albert Camus, that I wove into our work together as a theme:

"In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me
there lay an invincible summer."

This is the time of year many of us get down because of the cold and darkness, and yet we must go through the season of winter to give birth to the spring, and subsequent summer. It is good to remember, that even when we are experiencing winter, and cold and snowy skies - somewhere on this beautiful planet it is summer, and the sun is shining.

I thought of the beauty of winter, as I enjoyed my unexpected traveling experience, through the countryside and quiet farmlands. I cranked up the tunes in my car - singing many hymns, psalms, and spiritual songs - remembering those days in my youth when I made some spare change as a liturgical musician. Later on, I switched to more contemporary artists.

While I began my journey heavy in thoughts, I felt my breath expand within me as the rising sun, filling my being with warmth and joy, as I encouraged my own student to do earlier in the morning.

If today you feel sluggish, or down, tired or spent. Close your eyes for a moment. Tune into your breath. Bring your awareness to your heart. Visualize the sun rising within you - expanding your ribs circumferentially. Then visualize your energy field expanding with light. Allow yourself to be blinded by your own light. And then, whisper in your heart:

"In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me
there lay an invincible summer."

(By the way, the picture at the top of the blog is of the Potomac River, at Algonkian Park, where I often visit!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"