A Good Morning on 10/10/10

I arise early on this tenth day of the tenth month of the year 2010. This sequence of numbers, in metaphysical terms, reduces to the number three which is symbolic of rewards and successes, and invokes intuition, expression, and the joy of creativity.

I make my way to the other side of the river for my yoga class, and as always, my teacher does not disappoint - but manages to inspire us while working and riding us hard. Yet, we all rise to the occasion as we work deeply with Inner and Outer Spiral - the third and fourth principles in Anusara Yoga's Universal Principles of Alignment - and quad stretches of all kinds.

I came to class aching, but I will leave exhilarated - knowing that I gave it my best.

At one point, my teacher looks at me and exclaims: "Look around you! All thirty in this room are in full Virasana!" And yes, they are - and radiant as well. Every now and then I manage to take notes on the sequencing or instruction as we work towards
Pasasana and beyond it.

Yes, I came to class with a throbbing knee, but left with no discomfort.

At the end of class my teacher reads this poem by Mary Oliver:


Thirst


"Another good morning and I wake up with thirst
for all the goodness I do not have. I walk
out to the pond and all the way God has
given us such beautiful lessons. Oh Lord,
I was never a quick scholar but sulked
and hunched over my books past the hour
and the bell; grant me, in your mercy,
a little more time. Love for the earth
and love for you are having such a long
conversation in my heart. Who knows what
will finally happen or where I will be sent
yet already I have given a great many things
away, expecting to be told to pack nothing,
except the prayers which with this thirst,
I am slowly learning."

Yes, this is another good morning, where I woke up - and despite pain and all the things I wish I could change - instead of wallowing in self-pity, pain, and inertia - I come to a class that challenges me, and reminds me that I am infinite. I come to a class where we explore the quality of desire from a Tantric perspective which teaches us not to eradicate it - but embrace it - for its denial will only result in our frustration. Like Hanuman - we experience desire as a thing of beauty, and once more I have received fuel for my soul on a pivotal day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"