Good Intentions

"A good intention
clothes itself with power."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

This morning was rainy, misty, and foggy at times. It was the kind of day that makes you want to curl up with a book and stay home. I did stay home, and read a couple of newspapers from cover to cover, and skim read portions of several books I received in the mail as well. It was a perfect day to lose oneself in self-reflection...

A few days ago, I reviewed two of the goals I had set for myself this year. At the very beginning of the year, I placed two labels on a couple of drinking glasses. On one, I placed the word "compassion," and on the second, I placed the word "healing." My intention was to cultivate greater compassion towards myself and others throughout the course of the year, and to open the door to greater healing in my body, mind, and soul as well.

As I reviewed the three quarters of the year that have already gone by, I noted many subtle and not so subtle ways in which these goals had been implemented and manifested. But I was also reminded twice in the last couple of days of how much work I still need to do, especially in the area of compassion. On these two recent occasions I observed how I quickly became judgmental and impatient in situations that begged for greater compassion. Still, I was pleased with my progress so far.

I placed these labels on my drinking glasses because years ago I had read the work of Masaru Emoto, who observed, that water formed beautiful crystal patterns in response to positive words like love and beauty, but failed to do so when exposed to negative words. And while his work has been contested, we do know that animals, humans, and even plants respond to positive languaging. Whether or not Emoto's work is true - the fact is that I believed that placing these two words on my drinking glasses would influence my attitude and behavior throughout the course of this year. I gave intent for it to be so - and so it has been. I truly believe this.

All change begins with a thought - and an intent. The thoughts we entertain and the people we surround ourselves with have tremendous impact on us.

There is less than a quarter of the year remaining. I give intent to continue to manifest and embody compassion in my thoughts, and words and actions. I also give intent to continue my path towards greater healing of mind, body, and spirit.

What are your intentions? It is not too late to formulate a couple!

Comments

I love the thought of beautiful words having a beautiful effect on the things they come in contact with!

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"