From My Monastery to Yours

I have a wonderful soul companion who deeply relishes her time spent in the arms of the Divine as much - if not more - than I do. I say this, because for years now, I have been an empty-nester and I have enjoyed the gift and pleasure of much undivided time. She, on the other hand,  is only just now getting ready to send her child to college, so soon she will have such highly desired and coveted time as well!

For years, we have referred to our quotidian quiet times for practice, as our monastery time. Sometimes our practice consists of doing laundry or cleaning toilets, or other such less than glamorous tasks. We often challenge and inspire one another to seek the face of the Divine even in such mundane things. In fact, we have often coaxed one another to experience the mundane as simply glorious!

We have both had spouses who traveled at times, which also afforded us some days here and there to journey more deeply within.

Often, we share insights from our practice, seek wisdom and counsel, or we clue each other in on books or inspirational things that we are reading.

Yesterday, my dear friend signed off her email to me in this manner:

"From my monastery to yours!"

I smiled broadly, but most importantly, my soul smiled. The light in me - acknowledged the light in her.

Later, I forwarded a collection of prayerful and inspirational quotes that I had read throughout the day. And now, I share them here with you, hoping you might find something that might speak to you as well.

I make this offering - from my monastery to yours! And may you enjoy!

"Nothing is more practical than
finding God, than
falling in Love
in a quiet absolute, final way.
What you are in love with,
what seizes your imagination, 
will affect everything.
It will decide
what will get you 

out of bed in the morning,
what you do with your evenings,
how you spend your weekends,
what you read, whom you know,
what breaks your heart,
and what amazes you 

with joy and gratitude.
Fall in love, stay in love,
and it will decide everything."

~ Pedro Arrupe, SJ


"Source of all blessings,
you bless us with views from
train windows — landscape
that rotates one way near the
tracks and the opposite way near
the horizon, while we sit back and
watch it rolling by like a film,
yet real and with a life of its own.
May I always live keenly aware of
worlds unaware of being observed,
 

worlds turning and touching,
separate from each other, yet one."
~ Brother David Steindl-Rast


"This magnificent refuge is inside you.
Enter. Shatter the darkness 

that shrouds the doorway...
Be bold. Be humble.
Put away the incense and forget
the incantations they taught you.
Ask no permission from the authorities.
 

Close your eyes and follow your breath
to the still place that leads to the
invisible path that leads you home."
~ St. Teresa of Avila


"No soul is desolate 
as long as there is a human being 
for whom it can feel trust and reverence."
~ George Eliot

Comments

I've just found your blog, I look forward to exploring further. Thank you for sharing such beautiful words. x Shannon
Olga Rasmussen said…
Thank you so much for your kind words Shannon!

Blessings to you!
Olga

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"