To See as Others See

Earlier this week, I posted a short blog titled, "To See as Others See" on the "Daily Inspiration" link on my website:


But, since different audience read both, I thought I would reprise it here. 

"To see as others see" is a spiritual practice that I have been trying to "practice" lately, as much as I am able to do so. That is, I have been trying to envision, experience, and see things, as others do, as much as I am able to do so. It is not always an easy practice, in fact, it is quite challenging at times, but it's fruits are indeed rich and rewarding and capable of shifting energy and enacting profound change. When we are willing to see deeply, we see things as they truly are. I was reminded of this as I read and reflected on this wonderful poem by Mary Oliver yesterday:

Look and See

This morning, at waterside, a sparrow flew
to a water rock and landed, by error, on the back
of an eider duck; lightly it fluttered off, amused.
The duck, too, was not provoked, but, you might say, was
laughing.

This afternoon a gull sailing over
our house was casually scratching
its stomach of white feathers with one
pink foot as it flew.

Oh Lord, how shining and festive is your gift to us, if we
only look, and see.


~ Mary Oliver ~

(Why I Wake Early)

To see with clarity is both a gift and a blessing, and I pray for it every day, asking that I may not only see as others see, but as the Divine sees...

Here is my post:

"There is a wonderful spiritual practice from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali called “Pratipaksha Bhavana,” where one strives to cultivate an opposite and more elevated attitude.

For example, if one feels fear – one should strive to cultivate courage. In the presence of anger, the indicated attitude or virtue to strive for, would be love – and so forth.

One of my favorite practices at the moment, when I find myself strongly disagreeing with someone, is to put myself in their place, and try to see things as they see it. I try to imagine a situation or philosophical stance and experience a different perspective. Can I entertain a different political or spiritual view? Can I see things the way others do?

Then, I try to experience it differently. What would it feel like to hold this view – or see things in this way? More often than not, it changes my own understanding and perceptions and makes me realize that what separates me from others often seems insignificant. I find that I can experience empathy and solidarity with others.

We can cultivate an opposite attitude or virtue – or we can try to see things as others do. Either way, we arrive at the same place. We see and experience things differently and it changes us. In time, we also notice that it changes others as well – and it has the ability to shift and heal relationships.
I believe we can shift and heal the planet this way – one attitude – and one person at a time!"

Today, and every day,
May you see as others see.

Today, and every day,
May you see as God sees...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"