Shift Your Consciousness and Change the Universe

Thoughts are powerful...

I have been thinking about this a lot lately...

Yesterday, I began a mini retreat of sorts, that is already filling my life to the brim with many blessings. I will not speak of it much right now, except to say, it is shifting my understanding, my experiences, and yes - even my thoughts...

As I entered into this "retreat" last evening, I picked up a copy of Marianne Williamson's newest book, A Year in Miracles, which had arrived in the mail, just as the sun had begun to set, signaling the beginning of the Jewish Sabbath. I had already prepared my space by lighting candles and playing soft, healing, spiritual music. I settled into a comfortable chair and began reading the entry for the day, which was perfect in every way...

"I dwell in peace, knowing that God is here and God is good..."

The section I read was the perfect entry to begin this mini spiritual journey, and very moved, I proceeded to read the rest of the entries for this month, backwards, all the way to the beginning of the introduction:

"A miracle is a shift in thinking, a shift from fear to love... For every thought we think creates form on some level. A simple thought - seemingly trivial or even - unimportant - carries within the power to move mountains..."

We cannot begin to effect any change in the world without beginning with ourselves. That is why taking time for a retreat, or for periodically spending some time with yourself in some way, is so important. 

Marianne notes:

"...Mind is Cause and the world is Effect, we change the world by changing the thoughts we think about the world..."

She goes on to show how we can shift a thought and subsequently our consciousness. Think of a chair for example - how in and of itself it has no meaning. But then, think of how wonderful it is to have a chair to sit on. Be grateful, for there are many who do not have the luxury of a chair - something we take so for granted. Then, consider the plight of those that don't have one, and notice the feeling of empathy that arises within you. Express compassion for those who do not have simple amenities in their lives. Surrender your life to work for the end of suffering in any way that you can. So, in a mere few minutes, you go from having a neutral experience, to experiencing a more expansive heart.

In that instance, Williamson asserts, we have shifted the Universe! Everything in the universe affects everything else...

Our lives are comprised of a web of connections. What we do - or don't do - what we think - or don't consider - affects those around us.

Last evening I prayed for healing and understanding for this planet, for loved ones - for myself - for those I've slighted or had difficulty with. I prayed for so much over a three hour period, until I went to bed and drifted off to sleep. This morning I woke up lighter, and with the definite feeling that something had shifted...

That is not to say that there is not still tremendous work for me to do in this life. But I realized on a deeper level the power that I have to change my life and this planet - by shifting my thoughts.

This shifting is nothing less than a miracle which has the ability to change the world.

Yesterday, I met with a dear friend I had not seen in months. He, and his wife and I, have accompanied each other in our own spiritual growths, supporting each other in all ways possible. We both observed how our views of the current state of the world was very much informed by the inner work we had done.

Williamson notes that it is the daily choice to think with love that determines what miracles come into our lives.

Today, and every day - may you be willing to shift your thoughts - so that you can shift not only your consciousness and your life and those around you - but the very Universe as well! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"