Stumble on the Road

Yesterday was one of those magnificently beautiful spring days, and something told me to go out on a morning walk, which I don't normally do on a Sunday morning.

I often take a path with a fork behind the houses where I live. One side leads to a pond I like to visit, and the other leads to a bridge over a vast expanse of marshes and beyond, usually visited by foxes, deers, owls, and other interesting characters.

I decided on the pond...

I had a lot on my mind - mostly good things - and when I came to the bench I usually sit on, I noticed the pond was empty. None of my duck or geese friends were about. I was a little disappointed.

As I was sitting down, I noticed a small "post it" note that had been affixed onto the bench. The simple statement was meant for me. I know I was supposed to come down to read it:


"Never let a stumble on the road,
be the end of the journey."

I smiled.

Of course I thought it was meant for me. But it was really meant for anyone needing to hear this message.

It was meant for any lonely soul who might sit there. Yesterday. Or today. Or perhaps tomorrow.

It was meant for you and me.

Life is full of stumbles. And road blocks.

I read a post this morning by a friend who had traveled to Nicaragua to help women who are small business owners. But instead, she encountered a nascent revolution, currently under reported. The account of her harrowing escape left me breathless, as an Embassy driver encountered roadblock after roadblock to get her to the airport, often encountering throngs of people armed with rocks. She managed to make her flight. Yes indeed...


"Never let a stumble on the road, 
be the end of the journey."

I think of a family member going through a very great trial right now. I think of those trying to get sober. Those facing debilitating disease, and those encountering personal stumbles of all sorts of magnitudes.

I walk back home, and I actually stumble while climbing a hill. Again I smile.

Life is often a mine field of one set back after another. The greatest success stories were built upon a mountain of failures. This is a lesson for me. It is a lesson for all of us.

Today, take a moment to breathe. Tell yourself that whatever challenge you are facing is only a stumble. You are not defined by it. After all, it is not about the destination. It is really all about the journey.

What will you do today? What will you do with your life? What will you open to? And what will you learn? And most importantly, who will you become as a result?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"