Breathe and Release

 Today is a glorious spring day where I live.


I marveled, on my morning walk, how blessed I am to be able to step out of my home and access a myriad connection of pathways through meandering green spaces and parks.

And yet, I am also very aware of the many tribulations we are facing in the world. Still, to commit to seeing beauty and goodness in the midst of all that is not well, is for me - a choice, a need, and an imperative.

I also know that many of us live in difficult and challenging circumstances, fording a constant stream of anxiety and fear.

How could we not?

Just look around...

And yet, there is more to see as well...

We can focus on the fear and the steady diet of negativity the media feeds us - or we can choose other staples for our diet.

We must also feed our souls...

But, how to do that?

I can only share with you some of the things I am currently doing.

For example, I am limiting the content of news I am consuming. Recently, a dear friend of mine and I spoke of becoming "a headline kind of girl." It does not mean you totally shut out everything that is going on, but if your buttons are being pushed and your anxiety is peaking, perhaps rethinking your consumption is warranted.


I am also doing this practice which calms me in just a few breaths. Let me share it with you:

I place my hands over my heart, and begin taking deep breaths, in and out - making sure that my abdomen expands as I inhale, and draws in as I exhale.

I do this for a few moments or minutes until I literally feel myself relax. Then I say:

I breathe.
I release.
I am calm.


I repeat this mantra several times.

It reminds me of my connection to the earth, to all beings, and my heart, which is the seat of the soul.

Try this and let me know if it helps you! You can even turn it into a Lovingkindness practice. Just thing of someone who needs your love, your prayers, and your energy right now:

May you breathe.
May you release.
May you be calm.

This is my offering for all of you, today, and every day.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"