Never Forget

I took this picture in Dachau last year. It was such a haunting experience and I have thought of my time there over and over again. It was profoundly moving. And while the focus of that trip was something totally different - this is what I think of the most and it is what haunts me.

A friend of mine told me her father had been held there. I cannot imagine what that must have been like. Since then, I have read many books on the need for ancestral healing and how the wounds of one generation are passed on to the next and the next...

I felt compelled to thank the guide I had for teaching countless others about what happened in that camp, so that we would never forget.

I asked myself then, how could this have happened? But the truth is, I knew. And we all know. And yet it continues to happen.

Like many, I am profoundly affected by what is going on in Israel and Gaza. I am also very concerned about all of this escalating into something much bigger.

I have many friends who are Jewish. And I have many Muslim friends as well. All are wonderful people. All would have my back in an instant. And I would have theirs. 

I stand with those who are suffering in Israel. And with those who have missing and detained family and those grieving the deaths of loved ones. I cannot begin to imagine what it would be to be in such a situation. I am at a loss for words but I find myself thinking of Dachau - and Israel, where I have also been, and the people who are being targeted or used by terrorists.

I can only pray…

And I long and hope for a better day and future for all. 

I long for a day where there are no divisions such as we see here, in the US. 

I pray for a day when our diversity is celebrated - not feared or despised.

I envision a day where violence is no more - or is so rare that it would be shocking - and not so mainstream that it dulls our senses.

I do believe we can ALL make a difference: One person, one experience, one moment a time.

We can open our hearts and listen - listen deeply - and express kindness - and reach out wherever it is necessary.

I heard it said once, that a mother's prayers are so very strong and that if we could see the energy of those prayers - we would see the whole planet surrounded in the Light and Love of those prayers.

Let us all do what we can to make it so.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"