The River at Rest

There was a time I came to this river, about a mile from my home,  almost daily, but it has been a while.

This morning, the river itself was very still. Quiet. At rest. Even if people walking around or sitting by it were not. The leaves have not quite taken on their autumn mantel of brilliant colors, and it was a warm morning and definitely not very fall like.

Despite all the details and concerns that might be floating around in my head, or taking up real estate in my mind, there was something about the calmness and stillness of the river that spoke to me. It invited me to slow down and be present. It reminded me that there are times in our lives when we are called to be more active, but there are also periods where we are invited to slow down, and just simply be. And the thing is, neither one is better than the other. There are times for motion and activity and there are times for rest and stillness.

What is your life calling you to right now? Greater activity? Or rest?

We are beginning to head into a time of shorter days and longer nights, of cooler weather - at least in some parts of the world, like the one I live in. The harvest may be done, and in another era, people slowed down and turned more inward.

Listen. Listen deeply. What is your life calling you to do right now? And follow that. Do that. Whatever it is, it will be the right thing for you. And eventually, it will be time to do the exact opposite. The seasons, and this river remind me that every day I step into the river and circle of life anew, with a different invitation., until the next day or the next season.

For free resources for your journey, visit this link:
mailchi.mp/53d1cf65ef3f/meditation-simple-gifts-for-you



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"