Lovingkindness

Every morning when I go to the river, one of the things I practice, is a variation of the Lovingkindness Meditation.

The particular version I like and have been using has been very powerful for me:

May I be filled with lovingkindness.
May I be well.
May I be at peace and at ease.
May I be happy.

Normally, one begins the practice of lovingkindness with oneself and then proceeds to include loved ones, those with whom one has difficulty, and in the end, the whole human family.

One of my favorite mantras is "Lokah Samasta". I chanted this mantra for the first time during an incredibly powerful and transformational workshop with Seane Corn - in a beautiful setting called The Barn - in Charlottsville, VA, in the Fall of 2005.

There is a beautiful rendition of this mantra in the new CD, "Soul in Wonder," by Miten and Deva Premal.

Lokah samasta
sukino bhavantu
om shanti, shanti, shanti

This mantra is basically a mantra of lovingkindness:

May all beings be happy,
and may my thoughts,
words, and deeds,
contribute in some way
to the happiness of all beings.
Peace, peace, peace!

Truly, may all beings be happy -
filled with Divine Light
and Love and Grace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"