Observe - Don't Absorb

One of the hardest things to do is to simply observe things. As they are. Without judgment.


Often, when we observe we are already imagining an outcome to our liking. Or we allow ourselves to get involved emotionally in the situation in question. Then we absorb everything going on in that situation, whether it pertains to us or not.

Have you ever noticed how others are quick to give advice on social media? Someone recently posted on a thread I was following, that the ones who are often most prone to offer advice, especially to people they don't know, are the least equipped to do so.

This morning, I had a person call me and unload her personal drama on me. I tried to be empathetic without involving myself in the drama, and merely listen. At the end I suggested that perhaps she and the other person involved were seeing things from very different perspectives. And perhaps the behavior that was being perceived as aggressive really stemmed from the other individual having a deep fear of losing a grip or control in several areas of her life..

I don't know if what I suggested was received. I don't know if it made a difference. And, it really doesn't matter. I don't have all the information or both sides of the story. I simply tried my best to observe, and not absorb and most especially not be drawn into the drama.

Normally, I get emotionally tied up in other people's drama, but not today. I choose to listen. To observe. And not absorb. And then at the end, I let go of it all. At least for today. Tomorrow is another day.

All I can do is observe. Not absorb. One day at a time. And try to make this a habit over time.

For more on simple practices, visit:
https://linktr.ee/meditationsimple



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"