Endings and Beginnings II

On January 18th, my entry was titled, "Endings and Beginnings," and I wrote about a seed of some sort that I had received, with a beautiful inscription:

"Every ending, holds a new beginning."

Yesterday, as I was clearing out a mound of paperwork, I found in the envelop in which the seed had arrived, this wonderful explanation, which I had somehow not seen or noticed, and I wish to share it here. This message - of endings and beginnings - is one that I have received again and again of late - and was most recently given to me by a Vedic astrologer, who affirmed that I was exactly where I needed to be - and should focus on deepening my spirituality and paying attention to my health...Humm....

It turns out this beautiful seed that now sits on my desk where I can see and touch it ever day - is a Sea-bean...

"Sea-beans come from trees and vines that grow along tropical shores and rain forests all over the world. The seeds or fruits fall from their parent plant into waterways, such as the Amazon River, then drift through inlets to reach the ocean. They travel with ocean currents until they wash up on a beach somewhere, perhaps thousands of lines from their origin.

Sea-beans are quite hard and buoyant, which helps them survive their long-distance voyage. For hundreds of years they have been seen as a symbols of good luck, longevity, endurance, and fertility. Some of it is due to their ability to float ocean currents for years and even decades before coming to rest on foreign shores (often with their powers of germination unimpeded). Other reasons may be due to their relative rareness on many beaches north of the Tropics.

Entada seeds are revered world wide as good luck charms and have been for centuries."

There are so many messages for me in this wonderful description. And this seed particularly reminds me of my river journey and experiences...

I have missed being in the river. Tomorrow it will be a month since I last went into its healing waters - and I have no idea when I may be able to go back inside. I miss the embrace of the river, the company of the herons and the bass, the music of the birds, and the opportunity to ground so deeply with nature. In many ways, I feel lost at sea - traveling like this bean - bouncing here and there against foreign shores - but not yet landing on the riverbank where I will settle, germinate, and bear fruit...

But my soul also knows, that the journey itself is what is most important - not the destination. As I flow up or down the river, as this seed - or within the protection and embrace of Grace, my beautiful kayak - I know that every experience and living creature that I encounter - on land and water - contributes to the germination of my own soul - so that I am constantly bearing fruit, in ways that are seen and unseen, and not always appreciated...

This beautiful seed - this bean - is a rich metaphor for my journey, and it conjures up layers upon layers of rich insights, and of moments and experiences of deep blessings received...

Thank you again Erin, for such a thoughtful, wonderful, simple, and meaningful gift! I will treasure it always!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"