Amazed

Yesterday I received a wonderful gift of song. It was a CD of liturgical music recorded by the daughter of one of my oldest and dearest friends dating back to high school and college - Betty Ann.

In college, my friends Pat, Betty Ann and I, worked as liturgical musicians at the College Church and at a couple of parishes near by. While Pat and I continued our stint into graduate school - and I did for a while beyond that while I was teaching - only Betty Ann made a career out of music and went on to have three children who are musically gifted as well.

The CD titled - Holy is His Name - features her daughter Sarah in the vocals and her daughter Danielle as the mixing engineer - in addition to other young members of their parish who also contributed musically.

I put the CD in my player as soon as it arrived...

The melody, lyrics, and Sarah's voice - hooked me in by the very first song...

I had never heard any of the songs before except for one - which was a personal favorite...

As I listened, I was initially transported to memories of another time and place - playing and singing decades ago in the company of friends...But almost immediately I came back - and I listened and felt myself moved beyond words by the passionate faith - and the purity and beauty of Sarah's voice that brought tears to my eyes - as memories of the past and present blended: two generations praising and worshiping in song.

All of the tracks on this CD spoke to me and brought great joy into my heart - but I will share the lyrics of two in particular:

Amazed
By Jared Anderson

You dance over me
while I am unaware
You sing all around
but I never hear the sound

Lord I'm amazed by You
Lord I'm amazed by You
Lord I'm amazed by You

How wide
How deep,
How great -
is Your love for me!

You Are Still Holy
By Rita Springer

Holy, You are still holy
even when the darkness
surrounds my life
Sovereign, You are still Sovereign
Even when confusion
has blinded my eyes

Lord, I don't deserve
Your kind affection
when my unbelief has kept me
from Your touch
I want my life to be
a pure reflection of Your love

And so I come into Your chambers
And I dance at Your feet, Lord
You are my Savior and I am at Your mercy,
All all that has been in my life up to now
Belongs to you,
for you are still holy

And for the first time in months,
as an act of praise
and an act of faith -
as an expression of gratitude,
and as embodied prayer -
I danced...

(For CD Info: hnjlifeteen@yahoo.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"