Prayer of Abandonment



I know the title for this entry sounds rather bleak - but it is not meant quite as it is first understood. So let me clarify...

"The Prayer of Abandonment" is a prayer that was written by Charles de Foucauld - a North African priest and hermit of French origins that was martyred in Algeria in 1916. His was a fascinating life - born into great wealth - he went on to become a soldier, a Trappist, an adventurer, a hermit, and a mystic.

Years ago, I read his writings and was deeply moved by his passionate love for God.

A little over two years ago on my 50th birthday, I went to Notre Dame in Paris, arriving at the time Mass was being offered in celebration of his beatification on that precise day. I was very happy to share such a special day and occasion with him.

Here is one of the many prayers he wrote, and which I recently came across:

Prayer of Abandonment
By Charles de Foucauld

Beloved.
I abandon myself into your hands.
Do with me what you will.
Whatever you may do, I thank you.
I am ready for all.
I accept all.

Let only your will be done in me,
and all your creatures.
I wish no more than this, my friend.

Into your hands I abandon my soul.
I offer it to you with all the love of my heart.

For I love you and so need to give myself,
to surrender myself into your hands
without reserve,
not without boundless confidence.

For you are the heart
of my heart.

Truly, this is a prayer of abandonment. Not of being left behind - but of being lost totally in the Divine Love of God. This is what Charles de Foucauld sought to do with his life. And that is what he accomplished - in the end surrendering his mortal existence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"