More Miracles and Midlife

I nearly finished Marianne Williamson's new book - The Age of Miracles: Embracing the New Midlife - last night. I made myself "save" the last 50 or so pages for tonight.

The book addresses the nuances of human relationships in practically every chapter, and interspersed throughout the book are essential teachings and wisdom from The Course in Miracles. The titles of the chapters are cleverly named after lyrics of famous songs from the sixties.

In addition, Marianne interjects some of her famous prayers throughout the text, resulting in a book that is very satisfying, nurturing, and comforting. A perfect read before drifting off at night for it reminds one of life's essential truths and what is ultimately important in life.

Some other passages that caught my attention (titles mine):

On the true self and heart:

The physical self ages...but the spiritual self does not. As we identify more with the spiritual dimension of our lives, then our experience begins to shift from the changeable to the changeless...from limitation to limitlessness...from fear to love. As our journey through linear time gets shorter, our consciousness can in fact expand....The understanding of that which does not change is the key to our power within a world that does...

The heart's transformation is not attained through the mind - it's attained through surrender, authenticity, forgiveness, faith, honesty, acceptance, vulnerability, humility, willingness, nonjudgment and other...values that have to learned and relearned continuously...

Dear God,
please forgive me the
mistakes in my past.
May neither I
nor anyone else
be bound by them.
Please God,
may I begin again.
Amen

On releasing and going forward:

I could be hostage to my ego or host to God. I knew that there is no letting go of others - the kind or release that frees not only them but you as well - without giving them your genuine blessing...I had to be able to say, 'I release you and pray that you walk with angels. I release you and hope your dreams come true. I release you and wish you happiness...'

...In the words of the Persian poet Rumi,
"Out of a shattered open heart
springs a fountain of fiery sacred passion
that will never run dry."

Don't skip a beat. Perfume your soul. Make ready your house. Prepare your heart.

Perhaps you were let down by a love of this world, so you would learn at last to lean on God.

On contemplation:

...The convent experience is an inner domain...The convent that matters is a space in the heart, where you live for God...as an ultimate effort at right living...Life isn't out there. Life is with God.

And my favorite!

Every woman has an inner priestess, but she often takes a few decades to emerge. A priestess is fierce - particularly in bed. Once she arrives, she is looking for men and not boys.

...[A man]...has to learn to handle a woman's being, and often it's a priestess who teaches him...With a younger woman, a man can conceive a child. But with a priestess, he...conceives the man he wants to be.

Dear God,
Please make me
a master at love.
Reveal to me its mysteries,
and give to me its magic.
And may I never use its power
for any purposes
but the ones You intend.
Amen



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"