The River and the Autumnal Exquinox

On this day of the Autumnal Equinox, and two days after arriving from Paris, I steal away to the river for about 45 minutes...

I am somewhat jet-lagged and dealing with a scratchy throat, but I make my way down to the river that has been mine...

It is still and quiet, and I watch a blue heron perched on a log in the river. I float towards him, trying not to paddle much - to see how close I can get to him. But as I get closer, he flies away. He does not seem very interested in making a connection with me!

The river is silent. I am very much aware that it no longer really speaks to me. We simply commune, and somehow that is enough...

For nearly two years I have visited this river - and for one of those years I vigorously paddled its waters. It is very familiar to me - and I delight in its sights and the characteristics of its landscape - which are always changing. It is good to be here once again after witnessing and experiencing rivers and oceans nearly a half world away - particularly after visiting shores that saw the spilling of so much blood and thousands of lives lost...

I do not need to stay here very long...I acknowledge that one season has been left behind, and we are entering into a season full of radiant colors. It is a season of letting go and of preparation for the coming winter...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"