Go into Your Heart and Roam

A few days ago, my eyes glanced upon a book I had read back in the early eighties. I pulled The Way of the Heart, by Henri Nouwen down from my bookshelf, and flipped through it, looking at what I had chosen to underline or make a note of then.

What enables us to go more deeply into the heart? This is the question I posed to my yoga students this morning...

What is the way of the heart? When we go into the heart - what do we experience there?

Different responses were given: love, wonder, compassion, and so forth.

I noted, that when we go into the heart and live from there - we experience oneness.

Nityananda, the sage of the Siddha Yoga lineage, once said:

"The heart is the hub of all sacred places. Go there and roam!"

We must go into our hearts to experience oneness. But the experience of oneness, also leads us back into our hearts.

Our practices lead us to experience oneness - and unity in diversity. It is in the heart that we know that we belong to each other. Our practices make our hearts more expansive, and when we are lost, they lead us back into the heart.

A dear friend shared this, and I in turn shared it with my students:

"When you look at the earth from outer space, you do not see a 'one' and an 'other.' All forms of life expressions are one life. This awareness is always in your heart. The challenge is to realize this at all times. The heart is cosmic, it is the refuge for the greatest wisdom known."
~ Shantimayi

This afternoon, my acupuncturist asked me how I was doing implementing my two goals for the year - that of simplicity and compassion. I was able to note some progress, because I was definitely spending more time in my heart.

Today, recognize that the heart is the repository of so many sacred treasures - and the temple of the Divine. Today, go there - and roam! Lose yourself in its beauty!

Comments

Lydia Russell said…
Thank you. What a beautiful reminder.

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"